Kansas City Tap In Center
WHAT IS THE TAP IN CENTER?
Open warrants are a common barrier to expungement seekers in Jackson County and Kansas City, Missouri. That’s why the Clear My Record Project decided to partner with the Kansas City Public Library, the Kansas City Public Defender’s Office, and the Jackson County Prosecutor’s Office to provide a safe space where individuals can “tap back in” or reengage with the criminal justice system to resolve their open warrants in Jackson County, Missouri and Kansas City, Missouri without fear of arrest.
At the Tap In Center, individuals can:
- Check for outstanding warrants,
- Meet with an attorney about their criminal case,
- Learn their case status and court date information,
- Apply for a public defender,
- Connect with local services,
- Enroll in a program to receive court reminders, and
- Get assistance navigating the court process.
WHAT KIND OF WARRANTS CAN WE HELP RESOLVE? **
While we are always looking to expand our operation to more jurisdictions, currently we have had success resolving warrants and obtaining new court dates for the following kinds of charges in the following jurisdictions:
- State law violations in Jackson County, Missouri Circuit Court
- City ordinance violations in Kansas City, Missouri Municipal Court (excluding housing/property violations)
- City ordinance violations in Independence, Missouri Municipal Court.*
- City ordinance violations in Lee’s Summit, Missouri Municipal Court.*
- City ordinance violations in Blue Springs, Missouri Municipal Court.*
- City ordinance violations in Sugar Creek, Missouri Municipal Court.*
* We have had mixed results in getting warrants lifted in these jurisdictions. Sometimes we can get these warrants lifted, sometimes we cannot.
**We cannot guarantee any given warrant will be lifted. Each warrant is handled on a case-by-case basis.
WHAT KIND OF WARRANTS CAN WE NOT HELP RESOLVE? **
We cannot help resolve any warrants in the following jurisdictions:
- Clay County, Missouri
- Platte County, Missouri
- St. Louis, Missouri, and
- Any place not listed in the previous section
* While we cannot help resolve warrants in these jurisdictions, we can still help you check to see if you have a warrant in any of them.
WHEN IS THE TAP IN CENTER OPEN?
The Tap In Center is open on the third Monday of the Month from 5 – 7 p.m. at the Kansas City Public Library – Lucile H. Bluford Branch, located at 3050 Prospect Ave. Kansas City, MO 64128.
We will also have a Community Connections Room reserved.
WHO IS INVOLVED?
This partnership, inspired by St. Louis County Library’s Tap In Center, brings together the Kansas City Public Library, the Kansas City Public Defender’s Office, the University of Missouri-Kansas City School of Law and its Clear My Record project, and the Jackson County Prosecuting Attorney’s Office.
Additional information about community partners, collateral consequences of a criminal conviction, and expungement can be found on this resource list.the